I was looking back over my journal, on day 1 I listed all the reasons for stopping drinking and later in the journey I listed all the amazing benefits. So many of them were unexpected, I have listed my top 12 benefits of stopping drinking below:
- Way less anxiety – I have suffered from heightened anxiety for years and tried quite a few things to keep a lid on it. Stopping drinking has made the dark clouds vanish and my anxiety is the lowest it has ever been. Who would have known!
- Better relations with my family – When I was drinking I was pre-occupied with how long it was until wine o’clock and found myself snapping at my son and being generally unreasonable. This has changed now, I have so much more time for him, I am no longer preoccupied and find myself enjoying my time with him like never before.
- Improved skin – I can see a huge difference in my skin, it has a new glow and when I look back at photos from day 1 the difference is huge.
- Improved eyes – My eyes look alive and bright now, in the older images they are dark and tired, I reckon this has taken a few years off me!
- Health – This is obvious but drinking the best part of 100 units a week isn’t good for you.
- Tongue – It isn’t purple in the mornings any longer, all that red wine used to stain it (urgh) and I bet my breath stank.
- Drink Driving – I often wonder if I was ever over the drink drive limit on the morning school run, I don’t need to worry about this now.
- Money – I was spending at least £10 a day on wine, £3500 a year (minimum), that will pay for a nice holiday.
- Other hobbies – Not drinking has allowed me the time and motivation to pursue other hobbies, I am back into my running training like never before and also enjoying writing for my blog and engaging with the Be Sober community.
- Energy – I can’t remember having as much energy, motivation and hunger for life as I have now, this has only happened from stopping drinking.
- Hangovers and Shaking – I had become used to a fuzzy head in the mornings and also often had shaky hands, this has become a thing of the past and waking up with a clear head is fantastic.
- Sleeping – It takes a while to start sleeping normally, but now I do and it really is amazing, I have beautiful deep sleep and wake up feeling refreshed. My head is no longer like a washing machine spinning with worry.
PLEASE JOIN THE DISCUSSION AND LEAVE YOUR COMMENT BELOW